Friday 22 April 2016

Angharad's Top 5 Favourite Books

In no particular order:




1. The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater 
“She wasn't interested in telling other people's futures. She was interested in going out and finding her own.” 

This is one of those series that no matter how much hype it has, I will never stop loving. It actually involves Welsh history! Every person in this book is my child. Gansey especially. It is interesting and funny and beautiful. No romance is cliche, the friendships are so important and it just makes me happy to feel at home in Henrietta and Cabeswater and Monmouth Manufacturing. Please read it and SAVEGANSEYSK16!




2. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
“I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.” 

This book will change your life. No kidding. It will. It makes you rethink everything you thought you knew about humanity and love and friendship and freedom. Having it narrated by Death and having it take place during an awful time in our history and yet still showing the humour and compassion that humans are capable of is so important.




3. Before I Die by Jenny Downham
"I realise that life is made up of a series of moments, each one a journey to the end.” 

This book, despite breaking my heart and staying with me for years later, has sentimental value to me. Not pictured is the amount of dog-eared pages and notes I have littered it with. It was the last gift my grandmother ever got me. It's poetic and heartbreaking and really will make you happy to be alive.




4. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
"Slowly, very slowly, he sat up, and as he did so he felt more alive, and more aware of his own living body than ever before. Why had he never appreciated what a miracle he was, brain and nerve and bounding heart?"

Pretty obvious choice but I couldn't do this list without including the books that made me the reader (and probably person) that I am today. This series taught me about happiness, bravery, hope. It made me appreciate the importance of family and friends. Most importantly, it taught me that happiness is possible even in the darkest of times. I will always be thankful.



5. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
“Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living.” 

I think even if this book had an awful plot (which it doesn't), it would still be one of my favourites just for the beautiful writing. Every sentence is quote-worthy. It will break your heart but it will also make you smile and will teach you a few things. It even has a few amazing photographs on the pages. It is truly mesmerising. 

No comments :

Post a Comment