Friday 8 April 2016

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo




'Six of Crows' by Leigh Bardugo is a novel based in her much-loved Grisha universe. It follows the story of six misfits who must work together to achieve the impossible; break into the seemingly impenetrable Ice Court. The gang utilise their skills and must put their pasts behind them if they wish to succeed. What follows is a story of friendship, danger and edge-of-the-seat reading.


Becky: 
No mourners. No funerals.


Oh my gosh. I have just been blown away by this book.

I originally wasn't too sure about reading Six of Crows, since I was so disappointed with the ending of the Shadow and Bone series. However, I’m so glad I decided to pick it up! 

Six of Crows is set two years after the Shadow and Bone series, and is much darker. The writing style seems almost more mature in a way, as if it's aimed at a slightly older audience. It's written from five different POV's, with two other cameo ones included, but despite this it still manages to flow perfectly and you still feel as though you know the characters - none are skimped out on. I'm definitely hoping for a Wylan POV in the sequel though!
The book is immediately gripping and stays that way through it's entirety - it was one of those books that I just didn't want to put down, and was reading at every possible moment. All of the characters are so instantly likeable, especially Inej, who I adored from the start. A truly badass girl with an interesting back story is something that always makes a book perfect for me. 
"She was not a lynx or a spider or even the Wraith. She was Inej Ghafa, and her future was waiting above."

I have to say, the typical bad boy is also kind of appealing to me in a good fantasy. Kaz, however, is so, SO much more than that. Again, the backstory is what makes it for me, but all I will say on the matter is:



         "I will have you without armour, Kaz Brekker. Or I will not have you at all."

Anyway, if you're looking for a gripping fantasy, or you loved the Shadow and Bone series, what are you waiting for? Go and read this book!





Angharad:
“What bound them together? Greed? Desperation? Was it the knowledge that if one or all of them disappeared tonight, no one would come looking?”

Six of Crows is one of those novels that makes peeing and hunger a distant need. I read it on a train and I almost missed my stop... twice. To summarise, it's that good.

Six of Crows is a book about six, for want of a better word, misfits who are given the chance to complete the impossible: break into the Ice Court. The only snag is that this place is seemingly impenetrable. The book takes place in Leigh Bardugo's much-loved Grisha world but you do not have to read her previous books in order to read this.

The book switches between points of view; Kaz Brekker (the thief), Inej Ghafa (the spy), Nina Zenik (the heartrender), Jesper Fahey (the sharpshooter), Wylan Van Eck (the runaway) and Matthias Helvar (the convict.) Together they must overcome their differences and work together. What follows is a dangerous mission filled with romance, hostility and friendship. 

Kaz Brekker - a morally ambiguous character who will do any job for the right amount of money and yet he is fiercely loyal to those who are loyal to him. He has a disability but it is never mocked and everyone appreciates his abilities. He's also secretly in love with Inej but shh.
Inej Ghafa - also known as 'the wraith.' I fell in love with her first. Throughout the book, it is discovered that she has so many nicknames dedicated to her skill set (climbing and spying) but towards the end she realises that she is just Inej and she is in control of her future despite the horrors of her past.
Nina Zenik - She is just the sweetest little thing who loves anything with sugar in it and yet, she can kill a man with a flick of her wrist. She sacrificed everything for her friends, knowing that it could destroy her. She's the kind of person you'd want to be friends with.
Jesper Fahey - A bisexual POC??? Need I say more?
Wylan Van Eck - He is just a little golden retriever. He is so sweet and has no confidence until the end when he stands up for himself (I did a little fist pump.) He is underestimated greatly but he saves their skins more than one. Basically, he's excellent at blowing shit up. He also has a crush on Jesper.
Matthias Helvar- My wolf man! He's been through so much and he was pretty much lost and the gang brought him back. He is kind of the outcast at the start and hates pretty much everyone but seeing him learn to trust the guys as the story went on was truly heartwarming.

Overall, I loved this book. It's a novel that totally immerses you into the world and the heist is described in SO much detail that I was actually on the edge of my seat wandering what was going to happen. This is a showcase of Leigh Bardugo's excellent writing and her ability to create characters who are real and horrible and beautiful. Give it a read!


No comments :

Post a Comment