Wednesday 4 May 2016

A Court of Mist and Fury - Sarah J Maas


• this review will be spoiler-free •

from the blurb:

Feyre is immortal. After rescuing her lover Tamlin from a wicked Faerie Queen, she returns to the Spring Court possessing the powers of the High Fae. But Feyre cannot forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people - nor the bargain she made with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. 

As Feyre is drawn ever deeper into Rhysand's dark web of politics and passion, war is looming and an evil far greater than any queen threatens to destroy everything Feyre has fought for. She must confront her past, embrace her girls and decide her fate. 



"I wonder if some part of me knew what was waiting for me. That I would never be a gentle grower of things, or someone who burned like fire - but that I would be quiet and enduring and as faceted as the night. That I would have beauty, for those who knew where to look, and if people didn't bother to look, but only to fear it... Then I didn't particularly care for them, anyway. I wonder if, even in my despair and hopelessness, I was never truly alone. I wonder if I was looking for this place - looking for you all."




I've been looking forward to reading this book ever since I finished A Court of Thorns and Roses. In fact, I was so desperate for it that when the copy I'd ordered didn't arrive on time, I went straight to town and bought a new copy (which happened to be a signed copy, so for once, I won't begrudge my impatience!) 

This book as a whole was a strong, addictive piece of writing - something that I've come to expect from Sarah J Maas. When it was announced that this would be a reselling of the story of Hades and Persephone, I think a lot of fans worked out what (or who) that meant that this book would feature a lot of. ACOMAF explores some new areas of Prythian as well as expanding on old characters and introducing new ones - almost all of whom I loved, especially Mor. As with ACOTAR, the majority of the action was definitely in the last third of the book, and once again this irritated me slightly but has also left me anticipating the final book in the series. Looking back, this middle section definitely had a lot of important character and relationship building parts, and I'm so glad that they were included. 

ACOMAF also deals with a lot of important issues, mostly related to what is right and wrong within a relationship, and the importance of equality. 

I was blown away by this book, and had no choice but to give it 5/5 stars! 

Is anyone else reading A Court of Mist and Fury at the moment? What did you think? Let us know in the comments! 

- Becky x 

1 comment :

  1. I am currently reading ACOMAF!!! So it would be super AWESOME if I won!!! Thank you so much! My IG is @shmeepy.books if you want to check if I followed�� I did all three btw! Love your acc!!

    ReplyDelete