Thursday 12 May 2016

Reading Habits Tag



Today we are doing the Reading Habits Tag and we have got the idea from the wonderful Polished Page Turners. We tag everybody who reads this post and you can either do it on Youtube, Tumblr, Blog, Instagram etc. Let's share our habits!

Question 1: Do you have a certain place at home for reading?
Becky - I mostly just read in my bedroom, but I'll read anywhere really! I think I've definitely sat on the kitchen counter to read a book in the past.
Angharad - I mostly read on my sofa and sometimes it's hard to find me because I'll be buried under blankets and pillows. I have read in the shower once.

Question 2: Bookmark or a random piece of paper?
B - I usually end up using a train ticket, as I catch them so often that I always have tickets on me.
A - HA! I rarely use bookmarks. I just always lose them. I've used plasters, tickets, tissues, receipts, ice lolly sticks, even a cushion at one point.

Question 3: Can you stop reading anytime you want or do you have to stop at a certain page, chapter, part, ect.?
B - I always try to stop at the end of a chapter, but if I can't do that, I have to at least stop on a page where a sentence ends at the bottom of the page and doesn't cut onto the next one - I imagine that that's just my OCD's though.
A - I have to get to the end of a chapter before I can put the book down. That can be annoying if I'm in a rush and the chapters are long but I can't stop at a random page.


Question 4: Do you eat or drink while reading?
B - I usually will since I'm always drinking something when I'm sat still - plus a pretty drink or snack is always a nice addition to a bookish photo!
A - I will always have a cup of tea whilst reading a book and I do snack but nothing too messy or that involves sticky fingers for obvious reasons. My dog put a mushroom on my book once. It was anarchy.

Question 5: Can you read while listening to music/watching TV?
B - Yep! I generally don't find it a problem unless I'm really not getting into the book. If a book's immersive enough, I could read it whilst people were screaming at me - I just wouldn't hear it if I'm lost in a story.
A - Nope, nope and more nope. I need complete silence. My only exception is train journeys, I can handle some background noise.

Question 6: One book at a time, or several at once?
B - I try to just read one at a time, but I usually end up reading two at once - either one new book and one that I'm rereading, or two that I couldn't wait to read. I'm usually reading one on my iPad and another paperback at the same time, too!
A - It depends on the book. If I'm immersed in one, then I'll struggle to put that down to read something else. However, if I'm rereading or just casually reading certain books, then I can switch easily between them.


Question 7: Reading at home or everywhere?
B - I will read anywhere. I definitely get most of my reading done at home though, or during long train or bus rides. I also read a lot of eBooks during classes but no one needs to mention that...
A - Like I said above, I need quiet environments to read in so it's difficult for me to read outside of the house. If I do, parks and beaches are the way to go.

Question 8: Reading out loud or silently in your head?
B - Silently! I could never understand why people prefer reading out loud - my husband much prefers it and it confuses me so much!
A - From the moment I learned how to read, I have read silently in my head. Even when I've had to read out loud to young family members, it has been torture. I just think it's one of those magical human abilities, to read silently and construct the worlds in our heads.

Question 9: Do you read ahead or skip pages?
B - I try not to but sometimes I'll skip or skim a chapter if I'm reading a multiple POV book and I don't like the character whose chapter I'm up to.
A - I don't. Sometimes when the story is being too slow, I do need to resist the urge to jump forward but I just know that I'll probably miss something crucial to the plot so I just grit my teeth and read through.

Question 10: Breaking the spine or keeping it new?
B - I'd love to keep my spines looking nice and new, but since I mostly read paperbacks they usually end up breaking at least a little! I try my best though.
A - I think it's kind of difficult not to, especially as Becky said, with paperbacks. I do find satisfaction in seeing a broken spine on my shelf, just brings back memories of reading that book. However, I have never and will never, bend a book back completely *shivers*

Question 11: Do you write in books?
B - No! This is a pet hate of mine. I used to write or draw in my books all the time and I'm so annoyed at my younger self for it when I look through my old books - especially when I tried and failed to draw little cartoonish versions of the characters. I've recently started sticking post its in my books though and I find this to be much more tidy and efficient - plus I can remove them whenever I want, which I can't do with pen marks!
A - I go through different stages of marking up a book. I have written in them in the past but only with pencil or I've underlined certain parts. I've had my dog-ear stage and I still occasionally do that but my most recently discovery is marking with Post-it notes. I would definitely recommend it as you can use different colours for different characters etc. And it doesn't damage your book at all!



What are your reading habits?
Let us know in the comments!



2 comments :

  1. Omg I'm just sitting here admiring your GORGEOUS bookish photography. AHHH all the heart eyes!! :D It's so beautiful.<3 And oh oh I need quiet and calm to read too! I can't just read anywhere, sadly, and if it's too noisy I can't concentrate at all. Reading with TV?! NOPE. Just doesn't happen for me ever. hehe.
    I loved reading both your answers!! You have pretty different habits, it seems?! :D

    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way can you compliment our bookish photography when yours is so amazing omg!! Yeah, I have noticed we do have different habits but I share yours with not being able to read with the television on.
      Thank you for dropping us a comment, it means a lot <3

      Delete