Monday 11 July 2016

Becky's June Reads



So apparently I beat my monthly record in June and read twelve books! I absolutely loved the majority of my June reads. Here's a quick look at what I read:
+



The Assassins Blade by Sarah J. Maas
5/5 stars

Although the Throne of Glass series is one of my favourites, I've always put off reading The Assassins Blade as I'm not the biggest fan of novellas. I'm so glad I decided to read it though - the five novellas in this book are all chronological, so play out more like a full novel, and it was so good to get more of an insight into the backstories of the characters (especially Sam!)



Unbecoming by Jenny Downham
4/5 stars

I wasn't expecting much from Unbecoming, but I ended up actually really enjoying it. Definitely a book I'd recommend!


Girl In Pieces by Kathleen Glasgow
4/5 stars

Thanks to NetGalley/Penguin Random House for the ARC of Girl In Pieces! This book comes out on the 6th September and I would highly recommend it. See Angharad's full review of it here.



And I Darken by Kiersten White
5/5 stars

And I Darken has been a highly anticipated book on my to be read list for so long, and I was so happy to receive an ARC of it. I absolutely loved this book and if I say too much I'll just end up fangirling everywhere. Recommended if you love history, badass warrior princesses, and political court intrigue!
My full review of And I Darken can be found here.


The Grownup by Gillian Flynn
3/5 stars

I really enjoyed this short story by Gillian Flynn - I'm not the biggest fan of crime/thrillers, but I've always loved her books. I definitely think that The Grownup could've been a full novel, which is why I dropped it's rating a bit!


All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood

So I've not rated this yet as I'm still not 100% sure what to make of it. I did really like the book, however there are some controversial topics involved that I still need to get my head around. When we've worked it out though, we'll be reviewing it in full, so keep an eye out for that! 



Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
2/5 stars

Yeah, I'm sorry. I didn't get the hype about this book at all. I've enjoyed books by Jojo Moyes in the past but Me Before You just seemed so bland.


Vicious by V. E. Schwab
4/5 stars

I think everyone's already read this book, but if you haven't, you should definitely go and read it now!



Lips Touch by Laini Taylor
4/5 stars

I absolutely adore Laini Taylor, and Lips Touch, her book of three short stories that are essentially about first kisses, was no exception. Everything this woman writes is just so magical!


Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys
4/5 stars

I was a bit weary going into this book as I found Between Shades of Gray a bit disappointing, but Out of the Easy was perfect - definitely my favourite book by Ruta Sepetys. It's set in 1950's New Orleans and follows Josie, a girl desperate to get 'out of the easy', as the title implies.



The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton
4/5 stars

So this is one of those books I've been meaning to pick up for ages, but avoided because I'm always a bit unsure when it comes to the magical realism genre. However, Ava Lavender was a beautiful, strange and sorrowful novel, so it's pretty aptly named. I'm not even sure how to describe the plot but I'd definitely recommend it!

+

Asking For It by Louise O'Neill
5/5 stars

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC!
Asking For It sucked me in almost immediately and I'm still thinking about it a couple of weeks on. It's the story of Emma, and what happens to her when she wakes up after a party unable to remember what happened the night before. This book has such an important message and I would highly recommend it to everyone because of that.

+

What have you been reading throughout June? Let us know in the comments!

2 comments :

  1. I am sooooo excited to start reading And I Darken. But on the other hand I almost want to wait so I'm not stuck waiting forever for the next book. Ack! #bookwormproblems

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is exactly how I felt once I finished it! I think it's definitely worth the wait for the sequel though. Hope you enjoy it! :)

      Delete